Monday, November 26, 2012

Anxiety, what I have learned to help me understand the disorder

People are probably fed up with me some days, when I minimize their catastrophizing (not a word). "It seems so easy for you, not having anxiety"

Here's the thing, I have anxiety, I battle it. It becomes/became (for me) a disorder, and when it reaches a critical mass it begins to result in depression. Which is what happened to me, left it too long without addressing the need to talk about it. (5 years-ish). It does not become about me not having anxiety, rather how I control it. I think of things that are not related to my anxiety (school, stomach, pain). I play video games to escape the WANT to think of those things, I guess within the disorder it kind of controls you.

What I learned over writing this blog, which I had never wanted to come to realize is. Those people who suffer from anxiety disorder (severe or a casual variety) are not bigger than the disorder themselves. At least not until you understand and manage your life accordingly. Avoidance of conversating about school, talking about my ulcer (hey, you hear that I have an ulcer), talking about exams or talking about family matters (not the show). I suffer from anxiety now; however, at a substantially lower degree. I have learned to accept that for the time being, whilst I am in school. I will have anxiety, when I am at work, I may have anxiety. Keeping yourself occupied with even the most trivial things can help your situation. Have a hobby, and run with it. 19 years of gaming has done me no wrong.... yet.

Life tends to take a big runny dump on your chest at the most opportune time. You need to be ready, and able to deal with the punches it throws at you (it isn't Glass joe punches neither). I've learned to plan to minimize the damage of those occasions. Learned to appreciate having a mundane day. Doesn't need to be exciting, those mundane days are a must to keep you level headed.

I took a break from addressing these issues because I was doing great, finals are kind of wracking my brain. But, the holidays keep me in positive spirits and enjoying my time.

Remain focused and love those around you.

Also, I wrote it because it is monday, and mondays are the god damned worse.

Regards,
Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment