Monday, June 11, 2012

I know how I look

Open letter to cyber-bullies and schoolyard asshats and high school low-lifes.

My life in school was nothing horrible. In fact education and teachers were quite remarkable, but alas that is not all you have to put up with. For 15 years of my life I decided not to tell anyone I am aboriginal. Which is quite the mistake. You weed out all the losers and eliminate forced conversations about how awesome it is to be white.

I for awhile got malicious and mean with words because at the end of the day those people didn't deserve to get to know me. To this day, I monitor and keep tabs with those who are important and any  acquaintances remain just as they are. Something that was not realized through high school was my inability to accept I am and look "abnormal". The thing about pain and "deformities" is it teaches you how to be different, it motivates you to become a better person. Motivates you to be intelligent and wise with words
I help those in need and hope one day when I need it I will have someone to pick me up.

I have realized recently that I know how I look, and I embrace it. If I could go back and be able to have reasonable discussions with the morons who called me deformed, goblin, elf, hobbit, a dirty injun to sample a few. I would ask them do you know how you look. If i spent all day piecing together your insecurities it would make you feel like a piece of garbage. But it  would feel worse, like a landfill full of Dane Cooks.

I guarantee that those who make fun of you for being a different race or having different tastes does not feel good immediately after they say it. I've become more conscious of my words, my thoughts and my adapted vocal defense. I fight for all sides. I can understand all walks of life. You let me into your life, you are granted access into who I am. An open book, I have no shame when I know who you are. It is about trust from one another. I used to hide, used to put my hand over my mouth or keep my head on my hand to hide my ear.
Which just proved to those I was affected by what they said. It's easy to bully the kid who doesn't understand why everyone picks on the different one.

Don't ever fall into societal pitfalls. You are beautiful as you are, you mature at your own rate. You live through the people you are close with. Just pick wisely and prosper from who you are and who they are.

Most of all, stay calm and level-headed. Life is more enjoyable that way.

(I've broken 3 controllers playing video games, so take that however you want.)

Regards,

Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment