Saturday, June 30, 2012

Happy Kanata Day... I guess

Ah, as I've tried unsuccessfully to write two other blog posts, I hear fireworks go off in the background.

In the city of edmonton, with cats and humans and buildings and shit. Especially that last one.

I'm proud to be Canadian don't get me wrong. But this is more of a "...caucasian holiday."

Canada is a beautiful country, 4th in most peaceful voting. The people you meet are of all different backgrounds and stories. I am content in Canada.

Canada Day "celebrates" more of a darker part of my history. The formation of a already formed land. With humans.... and Bears.... and structures and shit. Humans who were codependent on the basic level of helping each other out. Of family and closeness to the outdoors. People who lived as freely as the next man, with fresh food and a beautiful landscape to admire. Plains, mountains, animals and just the all around scenery was something treasured. Life sure did smack those people.

Those people, are my ancestors. Regardless of how white I look which would almost register on a Johnny Depp in Edward scissorhands white. Regardless of people in my own family calling me white, I identify as Aboriginal. When you ask what I am, I respond Cree, First Nations or Aboriginals.

Insincere Apologies made, as well as reserves and residential schools is what 'those' people got. Decades ago. Different people, different time. Sure there is still assholes who discriminate the fuck out of you. But who are they, nothing but a blip on the radar. I don't despise the other people around me, I have accepted I could easily integrate with that society and live in the majority... But, I don't want to and nor would my Grandfather or Great Grandfather want me to.

I take the blessings that I have now as a First Nations status 'Indian', regardless of how few rights aboriginals have. I have some coverage for medicine and school. When I know they could easily loophole around it and give us jackshit

I don't look for sympathy from any other race. Just coexistence and responsibility for your actions. I don't look for sympathy from the white men who took the land my people once inherited. I look for a simple apology and recognition of my race being equal to theirs. A simple apology that will never come.

Tomorrow is nothing more than Free Agent Frenzy day for me.

Happy Kanata/Canada Day to all.

Best Regards,

Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment