Thursday, December 12, 2013

Zombies, anxiety, and phone screens

You might ask yourself, Zombies and anxiety?

Well, first I could say pretty frightening, right? They can eat your face.
Or I can be like, "hey Woody Harrelson is intimidating when he isn't a raging alcoholic"

But, I am going to talk about 2 separate dealies. First off, staring at screens all day, whilst walking, jogging, biking, and sadly driving is slowly making the world more antisocial. In some extremely ironic way. Even I, I know (shocking) would deem myself kind of alone in the friend department.

Phone screens, tablet gives you unlimited resource to information, no matter how falsified it is. But, who really cares when you can look at cats in jerseys, cats in glasses, or 10,000,000 meme pictures of grumpy cat.

People walk with their phones out in front of them, most of them do not look up until that tweet or text is sent. I've walked and done this, you can look up occasionally and not leave it up to the person ahead of you not to destroy that phone. Alas, this is society in 2013. Zombified because of screens

____________________________________________
Now the otherside of the coin. It is great to be numb for most things, teeth filling, minor surgeries, and stitching. Most importantly, feeling numb in life is a strange feelings. I don't know if you have ever felt this. You stare blankly at something for 10 minutes. All the whilst not thinking, not worrying, and not panicking. It is something to behold. It is one of the happiest 10 minutes of my life. For that moment I don't have to think about fiscal responsibilities, who doesn't like me, did I say the wrong thing. This feeling can be absolutely great.

I had wrote most of this blogpost in September. It is more true now that it ever was. Because, I am one of these zombies. I am liking pictures on instagram that I don't even really look at the picture. I am favoriting tweets that are utter trash in the hopes someone else will validate me.

I am no better than anyone else. I am a zombie, I am a natural slave to my screen. This makes me fear for the next generations.

Validation makes me feel worth something, that worth makes my anxiety a little more bearable and that makes life a little more bearable.

This is the sad truth in 2013. The vices are just as harmful to the body, mind and spirit as they have been before.

Sell your soul for validation. There will be a time you are alone, and that anxiety is soul crushing. I know that feeling.

Now I have to go post this blog to

Twitter

Instagram

Tumblr

Facebook.

Thanks,
Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment