Friday, February 15, 2013

"Retarded" Please stop saying this

I've cut it out of my vocabulary, completely. Why can't others? It is (in my opinion) the most disgusting word in the English language. Why does it exist? for people with little vocabulary to use it on a day to day basis to explain the most trivial of things?

It bothers me to no end that it is said daily, without care. Without reasons for saying it. Regardless of how you meant it, it should really be stopped.

I recently watched an E:60 on Inspirational people. They did a story on Heath Miller, he is a person who runs marathons. What makes him different? He runs marathons pushing his little girl in a stroller/cart in front of him. Running it together, for the world to see. It isn't about what place he finishes, it is to bring positive experiences and to make his daughter happy. His daughter was born with Down Syndrome. He raises money for this, he raises money for families who deal with having a child who requires needs beyond what other children needs.

He ran his last marathon with her somewhat recently, in his final interview he was asked what he wanted to know, what he worries about. He responded with (paraphrasing) I wish my daughter all the happiness in the world, she is a happy girl. She is important. She is intelligent. I am worried that one day someone is going to called her "retarded" and I'm going to have to sit her down and explain it. Going to have to explain why some people think it is okay to call people this. I hope that day never comes cause it will crush her spirit.

That's true, self-esteem is hard to come by. Hurling that word at anybody is enough to put a burden on them. They will carry it with them. It is a heavy word, it is a mean word. It is an ugly word.

Please stop saying retard or retarded)

Regards,

Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment